Applications are invited for the Royal Society University Research Fellowship 2022. This scheme is for outstanding scientists who are in the early stages of their research career and have the potential to become leaders in their field.
These long term fellowships provide the opportunity and freedom to build an independent research career in the UK or Republic of Ireland and pursue cutting-edge scientific research.
Until this point, the University Research Fellowship (URF) has been a five year fellowship, with the option to apply for a three year extension. From the current round onwards, applicants will have the opportunity to submit a research proposal and costs for an eight-year fellowship. Costs for years six to eight will be subject to satisfactory progress and completion of a mid-fellowship checkpoint review at the start of year four. In addition to the change regarding the duration of the fellowships, the award value has also been updated with respect to previous rounds.
Royal Society University Research Fellowship 2022 Benefits
The scheme provides:
- Research Fellow’s salary: 80% of the basic salary costs up to £41,675 in the first year, estates costs and indirect costs
- Contribution to research expenses of £90,000 per annum
Royal Society University Research Fellowship 2022 Eligibility
Research must be within the Royal Society’s remit of natural sciences, which includes but is not limited to biological research and biomedical sciences, chemistry, engineering, mathematics and physics.
Those applying from Ireland (ROI) are funded by Science Foundation Ireland and will need to read the eligibility requirements in the specific scheme notes.
You can apply for this scheme if you:
- have between three to eight years of research experience since your PhD by the closing date of the round. Career breaks are taken into account;
- do not hold a permanent post (including proleptic or rolling contract of employment) in a university or not for profit research organisation
- do not hold, or have not previously held, an equivalent fellowship that provides an opportunity to establish an independent research group and therefore independent researcher status.
- World Bank Group #YouthActOnEDU Spoken Word Competition 2022
- Gender Just Climate Solutions Awards 2022 for Grassroot Initiatives & Organisations (€5,000)
Royal Society University Research Fellowship 2022 Application
The University Research Fellowship scheme is now open to applications. This round will close on September 6, 2022 at 3pm UK time.
Your application will go through the process detailed on the Making a grant application page overseen by one of their five research appointment panels based on your research area.
- Astronomy, cosmology, physics, earth sciences, environmental physical sciences & geosciences
- Chemistry and engineering
- Pure and applied mathematics, computer science, statistics, communications and computer engineering; the mathematical aspects of astronomy, physics, cosmology, gravitation, theoretical physics
- Molecular and cellular biology, zoology, plant sciences and physiology
- Biomedical Sciences