WARA/Mastercard Foundation Ideas Matter Doctoral Fellowships
Application is now open for 2022 Ideas Matter Doctoral Fellowship program, a program organised by The West African Research Association (WARA), in collaboration with the Mastercard Foundation. This program reflects our joint commitment to increasing opportunities for emerging West African scholars, people who are transforming ideas into active solutions to the challenges facing not only the region, but also throughout the globe.
West Africa, like other parts of the world, is rich in intellectual resources. Universities are home to scholarly communities of scientists, historians, artists, and social scientists. Young scholars in the region are carrying out innovative, cutting edge research in agriculture, technology, the humanities, and a wide range of other fields. They are poised to deliver innovative solutions to challenges posed by the changing climate, demographic shifts, and cultural transformations that mark our times. The Ideas Matter Doctoral Fellowship program will support the research initiatives of these young scholars.
- The Fellowship is open to doctoral students under age 35 who are based in West African institutions of higher education, for research on the continent.
- Priority will be given to research projects focusing on women, technology and entrepreneurship.
- The Ideas Matter Doctoral Fellowship program will award five doctoral research grants of $4,000 each.
- Project abstract (50-80 words)
- 1500 word proposal
- Two letters of recommendation
- Statement explaining how your research will contribute to meeting critical needs on the continent
All applications must be submitted online.