This is a call for application for Digital Assistive Technology- DAT Accelerator Program 2022 from Innovators across the African continent who are dedicated to developing digital assistive technologies and services designed to assist persons with disabilities in Africa.
Innovate Now is looking to support startups offering persons with disabilities in Africa access to digital assistive technology solutions or that leverage digital platforms to help persons with disabilities access assistive technology for education, healthcare, livelihood and other sectors.
- Geography: Applicants for the DAT Accelerator program should be from East Africa
- Stage: Ventures past proof-of-concept with minimum viable product and some initial users
- Sector: Digitally enabled Assistive Technology products and services
- Type: Both for-profit and non-profit social enterprises can apply.
- Inclusive Participation: entrepreneurs with disabilities and women are highly encouraged to apply.
- Age: Applicants must be of legal working age (18 years) or guaranteed by a guardian of legal working age. They must have all the legal rights to work in Kenya.
- Harvard Radcliffe Institute Fellowship programme 2022 ($78,000 Stipend)
- Young Founders Programme Autumn 2022
- Vine Fund 2022 for Changemakers in Ghana and Nigeria (up to $1,000)
Applicants Innovation-driven startups should be:
- Improving access to assistive technology through digital means or offering digital assistive technology solutions across education, healthcare, livelihoods and other sectors.
- Innovative, execution focused-agile problem solvers
- Authentic mission-driven founder(s)
- Teams with a culture of empathy, continuous learning and problem solving
- Structured and efficient teams (defined ownership, commitment, roles and accountability) and organisation (systems, processes and resources)
- Successful applicants for the DAT Accelerator program will have Access to Kenya-based and global mentors and subject matter experts in assistive technology and entrepreneurship.
- Access to a growing network of Live Labs-A unique concept that allows you to test, get feedback and validate directly with persons with disabilities across East Africa.
- Access to investor network and investor readiness programs and our funding ecosystem e.g. AT Impact Fund, innovation advisory and investment and Norwegian community of practice.
- Technical Assistance: tangible, direct support relating to what’s needed for your startup to succeed: legal, marketing, fundraising, experimental design, pitching and investor readiness.
- Access to global inclusive innovation ecosystem and partner network across organisations of persons with disabilities, universities, funders, Assistive Technology experts, disability experts, inclusive design experts, corporations and NGOs.
The selection process will follow the following steps:
- Stage 1: online shortlisting
- Stage 2: online Interview Selection
- Selected applicants will be notified via email no more than a week after the final interview.
- Selected applicants will be issued a letter of acceptance which they will be required to sign in duplicate.
- Accepted applicants will be issued with a welcome pack containing information about all program activities, curriculum and process.
- Participants will not be charged any money to participate.
- Innovate Now will not take any equity stake in cohort companies.
- Persons with disabilities will be reimbursed for any additional costs they have to bear to participate in the programme to reduce barriers to equal participation in the programme.
The deadline for application submission for the DAT Accelerator Program is on August 15, 2022
- Applicants will be subject to the Innovate Now Selection process by a panel of expert judges.
- By applying, participants agree to be bound by the decision and rules of the programme.
- All applications must be submitted through the official registration form on the Innovate Now website
- All applications must be submitted by the deadline
- Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- All applications must be submitted in English.
For more information: Visit the Innovate Now Official Webpage