Call for Proposals: This Is Cool Challenge 2022
Submit the proposal application for This Is Cool Challenge 2022 if you can give a detailed proposal on technology or policy initiative to accelerate access to affordable and sustainable cooling.
The analysis for 2022 shows that across 54 high-impact countries identified in previous Chilling Prospects reports, 1.2 billion people among the rural and urban poor are at high risk due to a lack of access to cooling. A further 2.47 billion lower-middle-income people pose a different kind of risk: they will soon be able to purchase the most affordable air conditioner or refrigerator, but price sensitivity and limited purchasing options mean they favour devices that are likely to be inefficient, threatening energy systems and resulting in increased GHG emissions.
This is cool challenge is open to youth-led sustainable cooling solutions that can help deliver on one of more of the three cooling needs:
- Human comfort and safety: passive or active personal, space or urban cooling
- Food, nutrition and agriculture: agricultural cold chain
- Health services: vaccine and medical cold chain
Initiatives may be in ideation or implementation stage and should demonstrate potential for impact in terms of improving affordability and increasing access to sustainable cooling through one or more of the following:
- passive and nature-based cooling solutions
- renewable-based cooling solutions
- energy-efficient cooling solutions
- The Nudge Global Impact Challenge 2022 for young Professionals worldwide
- CatchLight Fellowship for Creative Leaders in Visual Storytelling 2022 (worth $30,000)
- Vine Fund 2022 for Changemakers in Ghana and Nigeria (up to $1,000)
- Prize: USD $3,000, USD $2,000, USD $1,000 from the Sustainable Cooling for All to support the implementation of the idea
- Visibility: Spotlight feature from SEforALL (and partners) as well as exhibition opportunities (e.g., SEforALL Forum)
- Incubation support
- Proposals for This Is Cool Challenge 2022 may be submitted by individuals or groups of up to 5 individuals;
- All applicants must be under 35 years of age.
All proposal submission for This Is Cool Challenge would be assessed based on the following criteria:
- Goal Alignment
- Functionality and Relevance
- Outcome and Impact
- Scalability and Implementation
- All final proposal entries for This Is Cool Challenge must be submitted by 30 August 2022 through the Entry Submission Form in English or French.
- Three teams will be shortlisted to present live at COP 27 (TBD), where the winner will be announced.
- Three teams will receive a cash prize and further support from the competition sponsors.
For more information:Visit This Is Cool Challenge Official Webpage