Google News Equity Fund 2022
Applications for the Google News Equity Fund 2022 are now open. Google has launched a ‘News Equity Fund’, a global commitment to provide financial support and opportunities to news organizations that primarily serve underrepresented communities.
Their aim is to strengthen inclusion, further empower a diverse news ecosystem, and specifically support small and medium sized publishers creating original journalism for underrepresented audiences around the world.
- Funds will be disbursed in one installment. Funding amounts will vary depending on the size of the newsroom and number of eligible applications received.
- ASC Lieden Africa Thesis Award 2022 (€500 prize & publication)
- Hello Tomorrow Global Challenge for Tech Startups (up to €150,000)
- MPOWER Global Citizen Scholarship 2022 ($10,000 grand prize)
Eligibility Criteria for Google News Equity Fund 2022
- Open to small and medium-sized news organizations producing original news for underrepresented audiences.
- The News Equity Fund is open to independent newsrooms employing between 1 – 50 full-time journalists (FTE).
- Eligible applicants may include for-profit or nonprofit traditional news organizations, digital natives, newsletters, podcasts, radio and/or TV broadcasters, and trade press associations whose members cover underrepresented groups.
- Eligible applicants should publish journalistic content regularly.
- Eligible applicants need to have a focus on core news provision, i.e. not lifestyle, sports.
- Eligible applicants must have a verifiable digital presence (such as a website primarily providing journalistic content) and have been in full operation for at least 12 months.
- Incorporated or registered associations or organizations, registered academic or non-profit bodies representing underrepresented journalists and organizations are all eligible to apply as long as you are based in one of the eligible geographies.
- Government-owned entities or entities affiliated/owned by a political party are not eligible to apply.
- Only online applications in English will be considered.
Application deadline for Google News Equity Fund is on July 21, 2022
Application process for Google News Equity Fund 2022
Applications will close on July 21, 2022 at 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time. You will be asked via the online application form to provide relevant information about your publication, your organization and details of how the funding will be used.
For more information, visit Google News Equity Fund Official Webpage