USC Annenberg Center for Health Journalism Data Fellowship 2022
Applications are open for the University of Southern California (USC) Annenberg Center for Health Journalism Data Fellowship 2022. This program offers training on data acquisition, cleaning, analysis and visualization led by some of the nation’s most skilled data reporters and journalism practitioners. They teach journalists how to “bulletproof” their data, ensuring accuracy in reporting.
Over five months, Senior Fellows or “mentors” work one-on-one with participating reporters to produce “Impact Journalism” that combines original data analysis with compelling narratives to address overlooked health equity issues in their communities.
Benefits of USC Annenberg Center for Health Journalism Data Fellowship
Admitted Fellows receive:
- A $2,000 stipend to defray reporting costs
- A four-day in-person, hands-on training in beginner, intermediate or advanced Excel or R-Studio
- Five months of professional mentorship, including skills-building workshops and ongoing learning
- United Nations OHCHR Fellowship Program for People of African Descent (Fully-funded)
- Children’s Prize 2022 to Combat Child Mortality ($150,000 grant)
- Trash to Cash Challenge 2022 for a young people, worldwide ($1200)
Fellows also are eligible to apply for five months of professional mentorship in engaged journalism and $1,000-$2,000 to support those creative efforts.
Eligibility Criteria for USC Annenberg Center for Health Journalism Data Fellowship
- Open to professional journalists (including freelancers). They have accepted reporters in the past across all skill and experience levels, from journalists at the smallest rural newspapers to Pulitzer prize winners at national outlets. Just come with a willingness to learn!
- Reporters with varying degrees of experience with data analysis, however applicants should have, at minimum, a basic understanding of Excel. We cater our program to the skillsets of admitted Fellows.
They give preference to:
- Applicants who have a minimum of three years of professional journalism experience;
- Reporters pursuing collaborative projects between mainstream and ethnic news outlets.
Application Deadline for USC Annenberg Center for Health Journalism Data Fellowship 2022
The deadline for the USC Annenberg Center for Health Journalism Data Fellowship is on the 10th of August 2022
Application materials for the USC Annenberg Center for Health Journalism Data Fellowship include:
- Personal Statement and Project Proposal: Tell them about yourself and why you want to participate in the program (250 words). Provide a description of the project you’re pursuing. Consider these questions: What is your goal for this project? How would it have an impact for a community or for policy? What makes this reporting new or important? (500 words)
- Deliverables Statement: Number of stories you’ll be reporting, and tentative story themes or focus, including any multimedia elements you plan to incorporate (photos, video, audio, graphics, etc) (750-1,000 words)
- Impact Statement: How you believe your proposed project will make an impact.
- Three samples of your most recent or relevant work
- Editor reference letter and completed Editor Checklist form
Interested in applying? For the Data Fellowship, they require candidates to schedule a meeting with them ahead of applying to discuss project proposals. Fill out the interest form below and somebody from the Center will contact you to schedule a discussion with a Senior Fellow.
For more information,: See FAQ or Visit Data Fellowship Official Webpage
Never miss an opportunity Join our WHATSAPP 1OR WHATSAPP 2 0R WHATSAPP 3
Join our TELEGRAM GROUP OR TELEGRAM CHANNEL
Leave a Reply