Ann Petry Award for Black writers 2022
Applications are invited for the Ann Petry Award for Black Writers 2022. Founded in 2020 in partnership with Red Hen Press and the Peauxdunque Writers Alliance, the Ann Petry Award seeks to publish prose literature by Black authors.
The Ann Petry Award for Black Writers is for a work of previously unpublished prose, either a novel or a collection of short stories or novellas, with a minimum of 150 pages, by a Black writer. The awarded manuscript is selected through an annual submission process, with primary review by the Peauxdunque Writers Alliance, who will winnow the submissions to a list of finalists for the final judge.
Benefits of the Ann Petry Award for Black Writers
- $3,000 prize
- Book publication by Red Hen Press
- The opening chapter or story of the awarded manuscript will be published in the Peauxdunque Review
- Four-week residency at The Community Library’s Ernest and Mary Hemingway House in Ketchum, Idaho
Eligibility criteria of the Ann Petry Award for Black Writers
The award is open to all Black writers, with the following exceptions:
- Authors who have had a full-length work published by Red Hen Press, or a full-length work currently under consideration by Red Hen Press;
- Employees, interns, or contractors of Red Hen Press;
- Relatives of employees or members of the executive board of directors;
- Relatives or individuals having a personal or professional relationship with any of the final judges where they have taken any part whatsoever in shaping the manuscript, or where, for whatever reason, selecting a particular manuscript might have the appearance of impropriety.
- United Nations OHCHR Fellowship Program for People of African Descent (Fully-funded)
- Children’s Prize 2022 to Combat Child Mortality ($150,000 grant)
- Trash to Cash Challenge 2022 for a young people, worldwide ($1200)
Application Deadline for Ann Petry Award for Black Writers
The deadline for the Ann Petry Award for Black Writers is on July 31, 2022
Application process of Ann Petry Award for Black Writers
The Ann Petry Award is for a work of previously unpublished prose, either a novel or a collection of short stories or novellas, with a 25,000-word minimum (approximately 150 pages, double spaced, Times New Roman 12pt font) by a Black writer. Entries will be accepted via Submittable only.
To be certain that every manuscript finalist receives the fairest evaluation, all manuscripts shall be submitted to the judges without any identifying material. Bios, acknowledgments, and other identifying material shall be removed from judged manuscripts until the conclusion of the competition.
Remove all names, bios, acknowledgments, and other identifying material from the submitted manuscript, and include only your name, contact information, and a short biographical statement in the cover letter field of Submittable.
For more information, visit Ann Petry Award Official Webpage
Never miss an opportunity Join our WHATSAPP 1OR WHATSAPP 2 0R WHATSAPP 3
Join our TELEGRAM GROUP OR TELEGRAM CHANNEL
Leave a Reply