The call for applications for the OWSD-Elsevier Foundation Awards for Early Career Women Scientists in the Developing World is now open. The OWSD-Elsevier Foundation Awards are offered to women in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM). Applications from women in Social sciences, Humanities, Arts or other are NOT eligible.
Benefits of OWSD-Elsevier Foundation Awards 2022
- Cash prize of USD 5,000.
- All-expenses-paid trip to attend the Awards Ceremony to be held at the annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) in March 2023.
- YouTube Black Voices Fund for the Next Class Of Creators 2023
- ChangemakerXchange Climate Action Summit 2022 for MENA changemakers
- Routledge/Roundtable Commonwealth Studentships 2022
Eligibility Criteria of OWSD-Elsevier Foundation Awards
- The applicant must be a woman who has received her PhD in a scientific discipline within the previous ten years and whose current scientific research is related to the area of climate action and the environment.
- Given that from 2022-2026 the awards will respond to the call for action set forth by the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), applicants must demonstrate how their research contributes to the advance of knowledge in the area of climate action and the environment and to achieving the SDG13 (Climate Action), SDG14 (Life Below Water) and/or SDG15 (Life on Land).
- Applicant must have lived and worked for at least 5 of the last 15 years in one of the countries listed here.
The application for the OWSD-Elsevier Foundation Awards can include, but is not limited to, reference to SDG13, SDG14 or SDG15 sub-targets, e.g.: effective climate change-related planning, protecting marine and coastal ecosystems, halt biodiversity loss, conserve and sustainably use ecosystems, strengthen resilience to climate-related hazards, and more.
Eligible scientific fields:
- Agricultural Sciences
- Astronomy, Space and Earth Sciences
- Biological Systems and Organisms
- Chemical Sciences
- Computing and Information Technology
- Engineering Sciences
- Mathematical Sciences
- Medical and Health Sciences (including Neurosciences)
- Structural, Cell and Molecular Biology
Application process for OWSD-Elsevier Foundation Awards
Applications must be made online, in English, and must include the following:
- Official documentation proving 5 years’ residency in an eligible country: The following documents can be submitted as proof of residence as long as the name of the applicant (as written in the online form) appears clearly: statement from the local police office or municipality, population registry office, rental agreement, utilities bills, employment contract. This list is not exhaustive and alternative documents can be considered. Please write to firstname.lastname@example.org if you are not sure about the eligibility of your documents.
- Evidence on how your research contributes to advancing the SDG2 (Zero Hunger).
- Short biography of approximately 350 words describing your journey to become an outstanding scientist (for ease, we recommend that you prepare this beforehand and copy-paste into the text box)
- PhD certificate
- Curriculum vitae
- Full list of publications
- At least 2 reference letters (reference letters must be prepared on official letterhead and should be written and signed by senior scientists familiar with your research).
Selection Criteria for OWSD-Elsevier Foundation Awards
- The competition will be judged by a distinguished panel of specialists in the appropriate fields and who are aware of the challenges facing women scientists in developing countries.
- Assessment will be based on the applicant’s achievements in her scientific field, with additional attention paid to evidence of leadership skills, initiative and innovation, as well as to the candidate’s involvement in capacity building, outreach and civic contribution.
- Research that demonstrates the use of innovative techniques or methodologies (especially with regard to sustainable development), an awareness of the importance of sex and/or gender considerations in research methodology and content and/or interdisciplinary collaboration may be prioritised.
Deadline for OWSD-Elsevier Foundation Awards
The deadline for application submission is on the 15th of September 2022
For more information: Visit the Official Website OWSD-Elsevier Foundation Awards 2022