About TWAS-NRF Doctoral Fellowship Programme 2022 for Researchers
TWAS-NRF Doctoral Fellowship Programme for researchers 2022 are tenable at research institutions in South Africa for a maximum period of three years. They are awarded to scientists from developing countries (other than South Africa) to enable them to pursue PhD research in the natural sciences.
The South Africa’s National Research Foundation (NRF) and Department of Science and Technology (DST) are working in partnership with TWAS to advance science in developing countries through the NRF-TWAS Doctoral Fellowships.
Eligible Field for TWAS-NRF Doctoral Fellowship Programme 2022 for Researchers
- Agricultural Sciences
- Structural, Cell and Molecular Biology
- Biological Systems and Organisms
- Medical and Health Sciences incl. Neurosciences
- Chemical Sciences
- Engineering Sciences
- Astronomy, Space and Earth Sciences
- Mathematical Sciences
Eligibility Criteria for TWAS-NRF Doctoral Fellowship Programme 2022 for Researchers
Applicants for these fellowships must meet the following criteria:
- be citizens or permanent residents of a developing country (other than South Africa);
- must not be living studying or working in South Africa or any developed country;
- applicants who were previously employed or studying towards a degree, or undertaking research in South Africa, and have returned to their country of origin, but have been in their country of origin for less than two (2) years, are not eligible to apply;
- must have obtained minimum of 65% at the masters’ level in order to apply for doctoral funding;
- must register at a South African public university in 2022, on a full-time basis and may be based at any South African public research institution including Higher Education Institutions (HEIs), Science Councils and National Research Facilities;
- must be a maximum of 32 years of age by 31 December of the year of application;
- must have obtained an MSc degree in a field of natural sciences;
- must have proof of evaluation of all foreign qualifications (obtained from non-South African universities) evaluated by the South African Qualification Authority (SAQA) or proof that the applicant has submitted his/her qualifications to SAQA for evaluation. Failure to submit proof will result in the application being rejected;
- provide evidence that s/he will return to her/his home country on completion of the fellowship;
- not take up other assignments during the period of her/his fellowship;
- provide an official letter from a host South African institution, department or laboratory and motivation from the applicant’s host;
- provide English language proficiency certificate (if available at the time of the application). If not available, this will be required before any NRF funds will be released to the student and must meet the following requirements of the English Language Proficiency Academic test: IELTS 6.5 (no band less than 6.0); or TOEFL (paper) 575 (TWE 4.5); or TOEFL iBIT (min. 20); or Cambridge minimum 58.
- present a detailed research project that must be registered and approved by the host institution and provide a letter of support from the prospective host supervisor;
- be financially responsible for any accompanying family members.
Benefits of TWAS-NRF Doctoral Fellowship Programme 2022 for Researchers
TWAS-NRF Doctoral Fellowship Programme 2022 for Researchers will provide travel to and from South Africa, a standard monthly allowance which should be used to cover living costs, such as accommodation, food and health insurance. The monthly stipend will not be convertible into foreign currency.
The 2022 TWAS-NRF Doctoral Fellowship Programme for Researchers will span up to 3 years
Application Deadline for TWAS-NRF Doctoral Fellowship Programme 2022 for Researchers
Deadline for TWAS-NRF Doctoral Fellowship Programme 2022 is on the 8th July 2022
Application process for TWAS-NRF Doctoral Fellowship Programme 2022 for Researchers
It is important to go through all application requirements in the Award Webpage (see Link below) before applying.
For more information: Visit Award Official Webpage for Details