Shell Petroleum Development Company (SPDC) is the pioneer and leader of the petroleum industry in Nigeria. We invest heavily in our employees, which is reflected in our industry-leading development programme and our commitment to see our employees’ ideas travel and come to fruition.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Legal Counsel
Job Requisition ID: R73643
Location: Port Harcourt, Rivers, Nigeria
Job type: Full time
Job Family Group: Legal Jobs
Worker Type: Regular
Business unit: Legal
Experience Level: Experienced Professionals
- If you are a strategic thinker with significant experience in managing and resolving complex disputes, then this could be your chance to leverage business insights and dispute resolution skills to enable Shell’s strategy and purpose.
- You will play a role in transforming Shell Legal into a simpler, agile and more affordable function.
Where you fit in
As Legal Counsel in the Global Litigation – Sub-Saharan Africa organisation, located in Port Harcourt, Nigeria you will report to the Team Lead –
- Environmental Litigation, Nigeria.
- You will be a key member of the Nigerian Litigation accountable for managing disputes in litigation, arbitration and other adversarial proceedings including handling regulatory challenges for Shell companies in Nigeria.
- Matters cover an extraordinary range of cases of key importance to Shell businesses, including some highly specialized, complex cases of significant strategic, financial and reputational importance.
- The role has a particular focus on matters arising under Nigerian law, but given the breadth of the geographic region which the team supports, you will also handle disputes arising under or being conducted in other legal systems.
- You must therefore have excellent legal and strategic judgement coupled with strong business partnering, communication and stakeholder management skills.
- You must collaborate with senior stakeholders across multiple business and organizational lines to handle matters so as to further business objectives and protect shareholder interests.
What’s the Role?
As Legal Counsel you will provide proactive guidance to the businesses supported, seek out and propose appropriate solutions to disputes and litigation and co-ordinate input from multiple business, legal and other functional stakeholders to deliver business strategy. More specifically your role will include:
- Identifying critical legal issues and strategic business options based on complex and ambiguous data.
- Developing a case management plan for each assigned matter