Deadline: 5 P.M. ET on April 15, 2022.
Apply to be a YouthLead Ambassador
YouthPower2: Learning and Evaluation (YP2LE) seeks applications from motivated and active young leaders with interest and experience in strengthening their professional and leadership skills by serving as a YouthLead Ambassador. Detailed information about the Ambassador program and related commitments, desired qualifications and experience, and instructions for how to apply can be found below.
Before you apply:
- Please read the information on this Call for Applications page carefully and in full.
- Be sure that you meet the eligibility criteria required to apply to this program (listed below). Out of fairness and transparency to all applicants, the YouthLead team cannot make special exceptions for individuals who do not meet these requirements.
- Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions page. If you do not see your questions about the YouthLead Ambassador program addressed in the FAQ, you can submit your questions to our info email at infoYL@youthpower.org. Please note that it may take a few days for our team to respond to you.
- We cannot accept incomplete applications or applications submitted after the deadline (i.e., 5 P.M. ET on April 15, 2022). We therefore strongly encourage interested applicants to apply early!
YP2LE is a USAID-funded activity focused on building and disseminating evidence on Positive Youth Development. A goal of YP2LE is to give youth program implementers, researchers, and young changemakers the information, tools, and resources they need to develop high-quality, impactful, and sustainable youth programs. Click here to learn more about YP2LE.
A core component of YP2LE is YouthLead.org, a global hub for young changemakers aged 15-35. The platform helps changemakers maximize their impact through connecting and networking with their peers at home and around the world; providing access to resources and information that can support their work; and offering opportunities to build their skills through learning events and campaigns.
About the YouthLead Ambassador Program
The YouthLead Ambassador program is an 18-month professional development and leadership opportunity for young changemakers with a proven record of accomplishment in mobilizing other young people to have a positive impact in their community. Ambassadors play a key role in bringing the benefits of YouthLead to national, regional, and local groups of changemakers, raising visibility and awareness about the YouthLead platform as a resource and networking hub for changemakers.
As part of the program, the YouthLead Ambassadors design and implement leadership projects on critical issues impacting young people. These include youth-led learning events that contribute to knowledge, skill building, local engagement, and peer-to-peer networking. Ambassadors also contribute their ideas on how to make the platform more relevant to changemakers in our network to the YouthLead team
YouthLead Ambassadors are supported by Peer Advisors (PAs) who are graduates of the program that demonstrated exceptional commitment to their role as Ambassadors and who are interested in serving as mentors to their peers. PAs provide guidance and encouragement to YouthLead Ambassadors throughout their fellowship as they plan and implement their activities.
The Ambassadors are competitively selected from thousands of candidates through an open application process. Our first (2019) and second (2020) cohort of YouthLead Ambassadors were selected from among over 2,000 applicants from over 200 countries and territories. Our third cohort (2021) of 21 YouthLead Ambassadors were selected from more than 3,000 applicants. Graduates of the Ambassador program join a global alumni network of former YouthLead Ambassadors and Peer Advisors.
Ambassador Program Timeline
May 2022 – October 2023 (18 months)
As a YouthLead Ambassador you commit to the following activities for an 18-month period (for an average of 1 – 2 hours per month):
- Join as a member of YouthLead.org (if you are not already) and become familiar with the platform, its resources, and member network.
- Participate in the Ambassador Kick-Off Meeting, anticipated in late May 2022 (online).
- Participate in the Ambassador and Peer Advisor Graduation Meeting, anticipated in late October 2023 (online).
- Participate in All-Ambassador “Professional Networking Cafés” (every two months) starting June 2022 (online).
- Schedule and attend monthly one-on-one virtual check-in calls with your assigned YouthLead Peer Advisor.
- Help to raise awareness about the YouthLead platform and how youth can join and access its resources and events through outreach to your peer networks via social media. Develop, manage, and lead or co-lead an online “leadership project” on a social issue/topic of your choice (this can include for example, topics such as entrepreneurship, gender, community outreach, advocacy) to be presented to the YouthLead member network
- Be an active Ambassador, effectively managing your time and tasks to develop and complete your leadership project, including clear, timely and respectful communication with your Peer Advisor, fellow Ambassadors, and the team.
Ambassador Eligibility Criteria, Desired Qualifications and Experience
You must meet the following criteria to serve as a YouthLead Ambassador. You are:
- between 18 and 30 years old as of 1 January 2022.
- interested in building and practicing your leadership skills, working collaboratively with youth from other backgrounds and experiences, and growing your professional network.
- proficient in written and spoken English (please compete your application in English).
- strong in communication and interpersonal skills (in English) and able to work collaboratively with others from different backgrounds and experiences.
- comfortable working online in Google (Google Meets), WhatsApp, Zoom or other online working and meeting platforms.
- able to access the internet on a regular basis to participate in online meetings (e.g., Zoom) and engage with other Ambassadors and the YouthLead team using online tools (e.g., WhatsApp, Google, and Google Meets).
Our ideal candidates are:
- Seeking an opportunity to grow their professional and leadership skills.
- Have a demonstrated interest in and commitment to addressing a social, economic, or political challenge or issue that is currently impacting young people in their community.
- Motivated, creative, and enjoys problem solving.
- Interested in working collaboratively with a mentor and their peers to design and lead a project on a topical issue.
Ambassadors will work remotely (online) for a period of 18 months from late May 2022 through late October 2023. Members are expected to communicate regularly with their Peer Mentors and the YP2LE/YouthLead Team through email or other online collaboration tools and platforms.
Ambassadors receive a small honorarium contingent upon the successful completion of their commitments.