Deadline: May 1, 2022
#South African #Fulbright Foreign Student Program 2023/2024 for South African University Graduates (Fully Funded to the United States)
The #South African #Fulbright Foreign Student Program provides grants for South African university graduates to pursue post-graduate studies at a United States university in any subject (excludes MBA and studies that require contact with patients). Students are selected through a rigorous application and interview process and receive a high level of support ranging from visa processing and health insurance to a comprehensive pre-departure orientation and re-entry session.
The following Opportunities are Available
VSR (non-degree) : South African PhD students enrolled with a South African University may apply to conduct one year’s research at a U.S. University as a Visiting Student Researcher (VSR). Current National Research Foundation (NRF) funded PhD students are encouraged to apply.
MA/PhD: Post-graduate students may apply for scholarships towards Master’s or Doctorate degrees. Scholarships are awarded for two years towards one degree – Master’s or Doctorate.
Be a South African citizen OR a permanent resident with a minimum of 5 years of permanent residency status in South Africa (Please note: S.A. nationals with dual citizenship from the U.S. are not eligible for the program)
Have one of the following academic degrees:
For PhD research (Visiting Student Researcher): Be registered for a PhD at a South African university, to participate in an academic year in the U.S. to conduct research related to your studies. You should still be registered with a South African University as a PhD student at the time that you will commence your research in the U.S. (August 2023). Current NRF funded PhD students are encouraged to apply.
When applying for a Master’s degree: a 4-year Bachelor’s degree, BTech degree or a 3-year Bachelor’s degree with an Honors degree
When applying for a Doctorate degree: a Master’s degree
What do we look for in our applicants?
- Academic excellence
- Required scores for the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) and Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) for each specific field of study
- Clearly written study objectives
- Demonstrable interpersonal skills with evidence of cultural sensitivity and a genuine desire to learn more about the United States and share with American citizens aspects of South African culture
- Experience and interest in extracurricular and community activities
- Evidence of leadership potential
- A desire to further the Fulbright Program and give back to your home country upon returning
- The Selection Committee and the Interview Panel will also be looking for clear reasons for selecting your U.S. university preferences. The Fulbright Program expects candidates to conduct a thorough university search and to identify institutions which are a strong fit for their academic, personal and professional goals.
Prospective Fulbright participants should be aware that public health conditions, availability of consular services and travel, as well as U.S. institutional operating status and policies may affect their ability to travel to the U.S. and participate in academic programs.
Guidance for Applicants
- South Africa Fulbright Foreign Student Program Application Guidelines and Instructions (PDF 290 KB)
- Writing a Research Proposal for Scholarship Application (PDF 94 KB)
- FAQ (below)
- For questions not addressed via any of the above resources, please contact the Fulbright Office: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more Information: Visit the website for South African Fulbright Foreign Student Program 2022