DEADLINE: February 14, 2022
Women Building Peace Award 2022
The U.S. Institute of Peace (USIP) is pleased to announce the opening of nominations for the 2022 Women Building Peace Award. This prestigious annual award honors women peace builders from fragile and conflict-affected countries who are leading efforts to prevent conflict, challenge violence, and find peace building solutions to make a difference in their communities, countries, and/or internationally.
Because this award aims to celebrate the often overlooked yet essential role that women play in peacebuilding, USIP strongly encourages nominations of individual women who have not been previously recognized for their work in peacebuilding.
As of Wednesday, December 1, 2021, the nomination process for the 2022 Women Building Peace Award is officially open. All completed nomination applications must be received by 7:00pm UTC on Monday, February 14, 2022. Please see the Nomination Application Process section for details on how to register for a FLUXX username and password in order to nominate a woman peacebuilder for this award.
Over the past two decades, international organizations and the U.S. government have increasingly recognized the importance of gender equality in creating enduring, peaceful societies. Women’s sustained, meaningful participation in peace processes is vital to the overall success and longevity of peace agreements. When women are included in peace processes, the resulting peace agreement is 35 percent more likely to last at least 15 years—and yet, from 1992–2019, women accounted for, on average, 6 percent of mediators and 6 percent of signatories in major peace process.
USIP has long been engaged in supporting women peacebuilders in countries affected by conflict—including civil society leaders and peace negotiators in Afghanistan, mediators in Colombia, women-led organizations preventing violent extremism in the Horn of Africa and the Sahel, advocates for gender equality in Pakistan, religious leaders across the Middle East advancing the rights of women and girls, and leaders of nonviolent movements around the globe.
ALSO READ : Apply for the 2022 Lead2030 Challenge for SDG5
The Women Building Peace Award both reflects the Institute’s comprehensive commitment to gender and peacebuilding and demonstrates the important role women play in peacebuilding efforts.
- By nominating a woman peacebuilder, you are honoring her accomplishments, validating her dedicated work to the peacebuilding field, and recognizing her contributions to preventing and ending violent conflict.
- The information below will help nominators to craft a strong nomination application for their nominee.
Every nominee must meet all of the five requirements listed below in order to move forward in the nomination application process.
- The nominee must be a woman of at least 18 years of age.
- The nominee must be a non-U.S. citizen.
- The nominee must be working to build peace in a fragile or conflict-affected country or region.
- The nominee cannot be employed by USIP or have been affiliated with USIP as a contractor, grantee, fellow or recipient of the Women Building Peace Award during the 24 months prior to the submission of this nomination application.
- The nominee must not have been nominated for the Women Building Peace Award in the past two years.
Eligible Regions: Open for All except USA
Nomination applications are to be submitted using the FLUXX online portal. Only those nominating applicants for the award must register for an account. The women who are nominated do not register for a FLUXX account.
The nomination application process comprises two steps.
- FLUXX Account Registration (Account Registration is not the nomination application)
Nominators must first register for an account in order to gain access to the nomination application.
- Open the FLUXX registration page at https://usip.fluxx.io/user_sessions/new.
- Click “Register for an account” on the right side of the page.
- Select “Women Building Peace Award” as the competition type.
- Enter the required information in the Primary Contact Information section and click “Submit Request.”
- Within one business day, nominators will receive a FLUXX confirmation email containing a username and password.
- All nominators must register for a FLUXX account by 7:00pm UTC on Monday, February 7, 2022.
- Nomination Application Submission
Once a nominator receives login credentials, they may begin the nomination application.
- Open the FLUXX application page https://usip.fluxx.io.
- Enter the username and password sent in the FLUXX confirmation email.
- Click “Draft Nominations” in the left toolbar to create a blank draft nomination.
- Begin entering information in the nomination application.
- Save the nomination application and click “submit” once it is complete.
- Nominators will receive a confirmation that their nomination has been received.
- All completed nomination applications must be received by 7:00pm UTC on Monday, February 14, 2022.