Deadline: February 28, 2022 and May 27, 2022.
2022 Joint Japan/World Bank Graduate Scholarship Program (JJ/WBGSP) for Citizens of Certain Developing Countries
The Joint Japan/World Bank Graduate Scholarship Program (JJ/WBGSP) is open to citizens of certain developing countries with relevant professional experience and a history of supporting their countries’ development efforts who are applying to a master degree program in a development-related topic.
Subject to available funding, JJWBGSP offers scholarships for 26 Participating Programs at universities in U.S., Europe, Africa, Oceania and Japan in key areas of development, including economic policy management, tax policy, and infrastructure management. Please note that if you are not admitted to one of these 26 programs, you are not eligible to apply for a JJWBGSP Scholarship in 2022.
After earning their degree, developing country scholars commit to return to their home country to use their new skills and contribute to their countries’ social and economic development.
ALSO APPLY FOR: United Nations Young Professionals Programme UN YPP 2022
Broadly speaking, Developing Country nationals must:
- Be a national of a World Bank member developing country on this list
- Not hold dual citizenship of any developed country
- Be in good health
- Hold a Bachelor’s (or equivalent) degree earned at least 3 years prior to the Application Deadline date
- Have 3 years or more of recent development-related work experience after earning a Bachelor’s (or equivalent) degree;
- Be employed in development-related work in a paid full- time position at the time of submitting the scholarship application. Have at least 3 years of paid development-related employment since earning a Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent university degree) and acquired within the past 6 years from the date of the Application Deadline. Please see FAQs on how to count qualified part time employment toward this 3-year requirement.
- On or before the Scholarship Application Deadline date, be admitted unconditionally (except for funding) for the upcoming academic year to at least one of the JJ/WBGSP participating master’s programs located outside of the applicant’s country of citizenship and country of residence listed at the time the call for scholarship applications opens. The letter of admission must be uploaded before submitting your application. For details, see “How to Apply”.
- Not be an Executive Director, his/her alternate, and/or staff of any type of appointment of the World Bank Group or a close relative of the aforementioned by blood or adoption with the term “close relative” defined as: Mother, Father, Sister, Half-sister, Brother, Half-brother, Son, Daughter, Aunt, Uncle, Niece, or Nephew.
Please note: All eligibility criteria are strictly adhered to. No exceptions are made. Eligibility criteria WILL NOT change during an open call for applications. However, this information is subject to change between the close of one application process and the opening of the next.
The JJ/WBGSP scholarship provides the recipient with the following benefits:
- Economy class air travel between your home country and the host university at the start of your study program and immediately following the end of the scholarship period. In addition to the two-way air travel, scholars will receive a US $500 travel allowance for each trip;
- Tuition for your graduate program and the cost of basic medical insurance obtained through the university.
- While on campus during the scholarship period, a monthly subsistence allowance to cover all living expenses (accommodations, food, etc., including books). The amount of the allowance varies depending on the host country.
- The 2022 Online Application Form for Developing Country Nationals (Window 1) will be accessible on Monday 17 January 2022 at 12:00 noon Washington DC time.
3. To accommodate the academic calendar of the JJWBGSP Participating Programs, the next application process will be organized in two rounds:
- Application Window#1
From January 17, 2022 to February 28, 2022 at noon Washington time
JJWBGSP Participating Programs accepting applications under Window #1
- Application Window #2
From March 29, 2022 to May 27, 2022 at noon Washington time
JJWBGSP Participating Programs accepting applications under Window #2
Join our TELEGRAM GROUP